Parking in the Trees

Monday, December 5, 2011

Escapee and Good Sam Rally's

The ride from the LoW Citrus Rally to my first Escapee (SKP) gtg was a really long one, almost 3 miles. One of the LoW members, Dave Irons, had invited me to a SKP luncheon last week so I knew lots of the SKP attendees. There were also about 12 LoW members who are also SKP members. The Paradise Oaks RV Resort was very similar to the prior Blueberry Hill Resort, with the addition of an outdoor jacuzzi. Another great gtg. Another round of golf. With all this golf I was hoping to improve. I had a few really nice shots but have yet to shoot below 90. Another gtg with catered breakfasts and dinners. I'm not losing any weight this way. The jacuzzi was great. Four to five of us sitting around chatting in the jacuzzi each night.

There was another RV camping group at the same resort called S.M.A.R.T (Special Military Active and/or Retired Military Travelers). Chatting with almost everyone as usual got me talking with this group. I ended up joining. Several really nice people and we didn't sit around talking about the military. I played one toss lawn game with them and they invited me to their all you can eat pork roast. It was the same night the SKP group had a similar dinner planned. I was torn as to which group to have dinner with but in the end I went with the group that I came with, the SKP.

We went as a group to the Florida National Cemetery for Veterans Day ceremonies. The SMART member I had been chatting with turned out to be a Lt. Colonel. All us veterans were honored by standing as our service branch anthem was played. After the ceremony we went to a local American Legion club for lunch. This was a very moving day for me. The Lt. Colonel turned out to have been in special operations of which my army ranger unit had been a part. We probably crossed paths some 45 years ago. It is a very small world.

The SKP group had a DJ for a 50's sock hop one night and some country western on another. I can't believe how much I'm dancing. About 60 preschoolers were bused in one afternoon. They sang and danced with a Veterans Day theme. They were sooo cute. It brought back memories of my Alex and Zack at their age.

My first Good Sam Samboree was best described as interesting. It was a huge gtg with over 400 rigs, since most 400 had at least two people there was near 1,000 participants including lots of locals. The Southern Palms cg was so large they had several golf carts roaming around to take participants to the various venues. Most of the dozen or so seminars were only about 1/3 mile from my site so I walked. Some were closer to a mile away on another side of a road. The opening and closing ceremonies were held in a building that was the size of an airplane hanger. There were about 100 rigs on show by dealers in a nearby field and a large flea market with lots of local farm vendors. Most of the seminars were barely disguised selling by the vendors putting them on. I went to almost all the seminars and did learn lots of stuff but you had to sift through the selling. I went to the first breakfast and first lunch. They were so crowded I past on all the rest even though I had paid for them. The Samboree was definitely different than the LoW and SKP gtg's. I doubt that I'll attend anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment